When you first heard of Playa Sonrisa in Xcalak, maybe you found the idea of a nude beach a little humorous. You…
…were reminded of those neighbors your parents told you stay away from.
…made a small joke about going nude with your partner.
…thought to yourself you’d never be comfortable there.
But then you tossed the idea around, you realized:
Xcalak is the edge of world. And if you’re adventurous enough to vacation there, maybe you’re adventurous enough to try Playa Sonrisa.
I know, I know. A clothing-optional nudist resort isn’t for everyone.
If you’re on the fence, I’d like to give you a few reasons to seriously consider Playa Sonrisa in Xcalak.
Who am I to tell you this?
I’m not a nudist / naturalist. I don’t own any shares in Playa Sonrisa. Heck, I’ve never stayed at ANY nudist retreat.
But I’ve interviewed the owners of Playa Sonrisa in Xcalak, and spent the day photographing the nudist resort (with permission of course).
Before I went I was nervous about the nudity.
And by the end of the day I wasn’t.
In this post I’ll give you some quick facts about Playa Sonrisa nudist resort and why it’s great for both first-timers and return visitors.
Then I’ll give some reasons to consider trying nude beaches in general.
Let’s get to it.
About Playa Sonrisa in Xcalak
Playa Sonrisa is the only nudist resort in the Costa Maya (A.K.A. the southern Yucatan Peninsula). Guests are welcome to shed as much – or as little – clothing as they feel comfortable with.
Here are some quick facts:
- Playa Sonrisa has over 75 glowing reviews on TripAdvisor
- The beach is huge and it won’t be crowded – the resort only has 6 guest accommodations
- Sonrisa is isolated from the other properties in Xcalak, with privacy walls around the entire resort
- Playa Sonrisa has the best dock in Xcalak (in my opinion)
- The resort is for adult couples only, and is LGBT friendly
- They offer loyalty points for return guests
You’re going to Xcalak… but you’re not sure if staying at a nudist resort is for you?
Playa Sonrisa considers day visits for interested couples. Yet the owners are sensitive to their guest’s privacy. So you’ll need to contact Sonrisa before showing up.
And here’s why you should try a nudist resort
- Knowing you did this. You’ll be proud of yourself (back in real life), always knowing you did this brave and unique thing.
- Pausing the vanity. You’re unlikely to spend an hour doing your makeup when you’ll be otherwise naked.
- Making new friends. At a nudist resort you’re going to meet people outside your typical social circles.
- Caressing the Caribbean. Swimming nude in warm water feels fantastic.
- Letting go of age stigmas. You’ll see old couples, naked, and you’ll see that they are still living a fulfilling life.
- Getting more sexy-time. At Playa Sonrisa they don’t tolerate public sex (it’s not a swingers club), but the frequent nakedness will likely inspire you and your partner to get it on behind closed doors.
Contact Playa Sonrisa in Xcalak:
Website: http://playasonrisa.net (the website contains nudity, duh)
Phone: sorry, there’s no phone or cell service in Xcalak
Where exactly is Playa Sonrisa?
You can see the resort on our full-color tourist map along with the other Xcalak accommodations.